Descaling the Jenn-Air Coffee Maker
Descaling removes water deposits that build up over time and with use. Depending on the mineral content of your water, calcium deposits or scale may build up in your brewer. Scale is non-toxic but if left unattended can hinder coffee system performance. Calcium deposits may build up faster, making it necessary to descale more often. It is important to set the correct water hardness for proper descaling. If “DESCALE!” is displayed, the coffee system needs to be descaled
Testing Water Hardness
- Remove the “Total hardness test” water hardness strip (found in the bag containing literature) from its packaging.
- Immerse the strip fully in a cup of water for a few seconds.
- Remove the strip and wait approximately 30 seconds until it changes color and red squares appear on the strip.
- Press MENU.
- Press the up and down arrow keys until “WATER HARDNESS” is displayed. Press OK.
- Press the up and down arrow keys to select the number of dots corresponding to the number of red squares that have formed on the test strip. For example, if the test strip shows 3 red squares, select 3 dots in display.
- Press OK.
NOTE: Failure to descale the machine regularly can result in decreased product performance and may also result in product damage.
How to Descale the Coffee Maker
- When the machine is ready for use, attach the hot water spout to the hot water and steam nozzle.
- Press MENU.
- Press the up and down arrow keys until “DESCALING” is displayed. Press OK.
- “DESCALING OK to confirm” will be displayed.
- Press OK.
- “Add Descaler Press OK” will be displayed.
- Remove the water tank and empty the contents. In the water tank, pour in the contents of a packaged descaler and water, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Replace the water tank.
IMPORTANT: Do not use vinegar to descale the coffee system. Use a packaged descaling agent. When using a descaling agent, follow the directions on the package for the
recommended amounts of descaling agent and water.
- Place a 2 qt (2 L) or larger container underneath the hot water spout.
- Press OK. “DESCALING UNDERWAY” will be displayed and the descaling solution will be dispensed.
- The descaling program will automatically alternate between runoffs and pauses.
- “RINSING FILL TANK!” will be displayed.
- Empty the descaling runoff and replace the container.
- Remove the water tank and empty the contents.
- Rinse the water tank thoroughly to remove all traces of descaler. Add 3 cups (710 mL) water to the water tank.
- Replace the water tank. “RINSING Press OK” will be displayed. Press OK.
- “RINSING” will be displayed. Hot water will be dispensed.
- “RINSING COMPLETE Press OK” will be displayed. Press OK.
- “FILL TANK!” will be displayed. Remove the water tank, fill it with clean water and replace the tank.
The descaling program is complete, and the machine is ready to prepare coffee.
NOTE: If the descaling cycle is interrupted before it has been completed, it will need to be restarted from the beginning.
If you would like to download or view product literature for your appliance, please visit our Manuals and Literature page.