Gas Burner Flames are too High or Low, Uneven, Flickering, Yellow, or Noisy on your Jenn-Air Cooktop
If your gas burner flames are not normal, check to make sure the burner ports are clean.
To clean the ports: Clean clogged burner ports with a straight pin, needle, or small-gauge wire as shown.
- Do not use a wooden toothpick, it can break off and prevent proper gas flow.
- Do not clean in the dishwasher, detergent can clog gas ports.
- Do not enlarge or distort the port, this will lead to unstable flames.
Is the burner base and burner cap positioned properly?
- Flame spreader or burner base must be seated on the burner base to light and perform properly.
- Burner cap must be seated properly on the correct flame spreader or burner base to light and perform properly.
Typical burners shown below:
NOTE: Always keep the burner cap in place when using a surface burner. A clean burner cap, especially the bottom of the cap, will help avoid poor ignition and uneven flames. Always clean the burner cap after a spillover and routinely remove and clean the caps.
- Be sure the correct burner cap is on the correct burner base. The burner base and the underside of the burner cap may have a mark indicating which burner cap and burner base match as shown below.
- Reinstall the burner cap; making sure the alignment pins(if present) are properly aligned with the burner cap as shown below.
- Burner cap should fit flush with burner base and have very little side to side movement.
Does the surface burner make a popping noise?
The burner could be wet from a spillover or from cleaning. Allow the burner to completely dry and replace the burner cap. You can speed up the drying process by blowing cool air on the area using a hair dryer.
Is propane gas being used?
Compare the flame to the illustrations below. If the flames look like A:
- A burner port (hole) may be clogged.
- Check to be sure the burner caps are positioned correctly.
- If LP (propane) gas is being used, the cooktop may have been converted improperly, call for service.
Normal flames look like B or C.
If you would like to download or view product literature for your appliance, please visit our Manuals and Literature page.