Surface Burner Flames Abnormal Colors - LP Gas - Cooktop
Is propane (LP) gas being used?
Compare the flame to the illustrations below. If the flames look like A:
- A burner port (hole) may be clogged.
- Check to be sure the burner caps are positioned correctly.
- If LP (propane) gas is used, the cooktop may have been converted improperly; call for service.
Does the flame need to be adjusted?
A proper flame should be a soft blue (Natural Gas) or blue with slightly yellow tips (LP Gas). If the flames are not the right color, too high or too low, the flame may need to be adjusted.
Refer to the installation instructions for directions on adjusting the flame height.
Is an ultrasonic humidifier used in the house?
An ultrasonic humidifier in the home can create water vapor mist that carries minerals into the air. When passed through a flame, the minerals can create different flame colors. The humidifier does not need to be located near the range for it to affect the flame color. Using distilled water will reduce the effect on the flame appearance.
- Calcium can produce an orange or red color.
- Potassium can produce a lilac or pink color. Potassium is found in natural water and is also used in some water softeners.
Is the burner base & burner cap positioned properly?
The cap must be seated on the burner base to light and perform properly. Reinstall the burner cap, ensuring the alignment pins(if present) are properly aligned with the burner cap, as shown below. The burner cap should fit flush with the burner base and have minimal side-to-side movement.
Are the burner ports clogged?
Clean clogged burner ports with a straight pin, needle, or small-gauge wire as shown.
- Do not use a wooden toothpick; it can break off and prevent proper gas flow.
- Do not clean in the dishwasher.
- Do not enlarge or distort the port.
Still need help? Contact us or schedule service.
Please contact us or click below to make an appointment from our preferred list of service providers for service on your appliances.
Interested in purchasing an Extended Service Plan?
Please click below to learn more on how you can save up to 25% on New Appliance Extended Service Plans within 30 days of your appliance purchase.